Searching for God knows what

This is a blog created as an application, a search for dedication, mystery, and resolve to be more reflective and write more. That said, this will be a forum for my thoughts, my theological and philosohpical explorations, and might include snipets of creative projects: literary and otherwise.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Aftermath of "upset"

So I've been upset recently. Recently is mostly a relative term because I think I've been upset for a good couple of years-- you know off and on just generally unhappy, dissatisfied and an underlying sense of sadness. Moving down to S. CA, drama with community, job, and complete lostness in this world down here has really brought these things to a head. Exasterbated the symptoms, so to speak. And as a result, I've felt really vulnerable, but also really open to God in the process. He's really kicked my butt in some really awesome ways. Last night Ben and I got into a loooong discussion (Dad, that will be the 2 hour call to colorado on the phone bill). We talked about a number of things--one of them being that I feel "done" in a sense with all of the drama that comes with transition, that comes with being with coworkers who are less than perfect (and less than self-aware). However, "done" is not quite the most accurate discription. I don't feel stuck or trapped or anything. The real theme is that I am hopefull for the next couple of years. I feel hopeful to explore women's ministry, I feel hopeful to become a special education teacher, I feel hopeful to move in with a new community. I feel hopeful about these things. I know there will be drama (as there always is in transistion), but this time around I know that I have learned a great deal about myself, who I am and who I am not. I wanted to list these things to show some hope, to show what is possible in the aftermath of being upset. To show the growth and redemption that comes from God Almighty:
1. I know how difficult and how neccisary conflict is. Short lists are neccisary in community.
2. I know that I need community, I have difficulty exhibiting transparency, often putting up emotional walls.
3. The Lord is a healer. I have discovered I have a tendancy to try and "fix" things with my own hands. I feel overly responsible very often. I need to be with people who are aware of this tendancy of mine and will take active efforts to help me in combatting this feeling.
4. I love challenge. I am bored with small tasks easily. I like challenges that are intellectually stimulating.
5. I like teaching. I like imparting knowledge. What is more, I have a tendancy not to favor the smart kids (who are like me), but the ones who are struggling with innumerable challenges. I never thought I'd like special education kids. They are the most rewarding, redemptive people I've ever worked with.
6. Space for reading, writing, art is essetial.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home