Searching for God knows what

This is a blog created as an application, a search for dedication, mystery, and resolve to be more reflective and write more. That said, this will be a forum for my thoughts, my theological and philosohpical explorations, and might include snipets of creative projects: literary and otherwise.

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Arg--next year

So it's come to my attention that I need to move. Not so much that I "need" to, but more that it's about time that I go ahead and move out of my current place of residence. I'm moving into a season of exploration-- I want to see what it would be like to be involved in women's ministries. I want to see what it's like to be in different churches, different denominations. I want to take art classes, study chinese, read books that I've never read before. Basically, I want to follow Jesus in everyway that I possibly can.

The last couple years of my life have been high commitment, Intervarsity bible study leader, volunteer at the teens center, researcher, Servant Partners intern. Basically I've committed to people and places even when my heart hasn't "totally" been sold out. This has inspired a lot of growth in me. I have learned to rely on God for my fulfillment. I've better learned to listen to his voice. Last November, we as a community clearly discerned that we should end our commitment with our ministry partner. Now I am clearly hearing that I should really end all commitments at the end of June. These commitments remain-- to Jesus, to community, to Ben, and to the poor. How these play out will be really different next year. I'm both excited and scared. I'm nervous to be living without a structure on the one hand, yet so anxious to begin exploring other ministry options. Praise God for his work!

Lists of things I want to explore:
1. art and media
2. women's ministry (specifically to poor/working class women)
3. chinese
4. literature and writing

Ways these might play out:
1. being the newsletter design person for SP, also coordinating the literary content of this publication.
2. taking some classes at PCC -- art and chinese being most important
3. volunteering with several of the organizations in the LA area targeted at women's outreach. I could volunteer for each organization for a week, or a month, or just basically explore my options here.
4. With literature and writing, a wise friend advised (i.e. Casey Carter) that with life comes material and with regular practice means no rusty fingers. This will mean continuing to journal and to reflect.

In terms of my remaining commitments, these are a little easier because it means being present to my new housemates (whoever that might be), continuing to pursue relationships with my intern class, beginning pre-engagement counseling with Ben, and spending more time in the word (which is happening!)

All of a sudden, I am so excited for what the Lord would have for me. Praise God!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I'm excited for you, Erin, even with all of the unknowns of the future. May the next couple years out be a growthful and fruitful time. And congratulations on Brad's go-ahead for you and Ben! :) It's so much fun to know both of you now and be able to celebrate with you along the way!

March 3, 2008 at 7:44:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home